Texts Displayed in the Versioning Machine:
|XML versions of texts can only be viewed in
Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher or Netscape Navigator 7.1 on a PC-compatible computer. To view
the occcasional supplementary manuscript images, Java Run Time
1.3.1+ or higher must be installed on your machine. HTML versions may be
viewed on any PC-compatible computer with IE 5.5+, Mozilla 1.3+, or
Netscape 7.0+ browser. Currently, not all components of the
Versioning Machine reliably work on Macintosh computers.
Parallel Wa texts encoded with the TEI parallel-segmentation method
- 佤语会话课本 (Wayu huihua keben) [Ko beng dui loux loux Vax?] (XML, small sample, 19KB)
First 5 lessons, including parallel texts in two Wa versions and translations in
Chinese, English, and Burmese (Myanmar). The Burmese glyphs are not likely to show up in Internet Explorer.
- 佤语会话课本 (Wayu huihua keben) [Ko beng dui loux loux Vax?] Full text for the above XML,
245KB) (Before selecting this one, read note below!)
Note: The first item (a small sample of 5 full lessons only)
displays fairly fast, but the second item, with all 60 lessons, currently takes 1-3 minutes to
display when you add columns (versions). If you choose this one, be patient!
As an alternative, to view the whole text in a single column,
with versions displayed interlinearly, you can try this instead:
- 佤语会话课本 (Wayu huihua keben)
alternative interlinear formatting for much faster display (XML, 245KB)
You can also display and study the XML source
document itself, formatted with Internet Explorer's or Mozilla/Firefox's built-in XSLT stylesheets.
Click on the +'s and -'s to hide or reexpand the various elements or nodes in the document tree. Many default
attributes are added automatically by Internet Explorer from the TEI DTD. Since Mozilla/Firefox does not do this, it is
perhaps easier to read.
- Npaeng Si guad giex Si ngāix (Wa version of Aesop's
fable "The North Wind and the Sun") (XML, small, 11KB)
- The Parable of the Sower (from the New Testament of The Bible, Matthew 13.iii-ix) (XML, small, 12KB)
Sample texts from Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH), encoded with the
TEI parallel-segmentation method
- "Faith is a fine invention," by Emily Dickinson
- "Homage to Hieronymus Bosch," by Thomas MacGreevy (xml |
- Excerpts from "The Cask of Amontillado," by Edgar Allen Poe (xml | html)
(Disclaimer: The variant text and notes of "The Cask
of Amontillado" have been fabricated for the purposes of demonstration
MITH sample TEI-encoded texts with each witness in a discrete